100 Happy Days Challenge
In February, I dared myself to be happy for one hundred days by taking in the 100 Happy Days Challenge. To be honest, I’d been plagued by doubts if I could see it through especially in the first few weeks. I am not exactly a person who barfs glitters and rainbow and I have those days when I can be quite difficult to deal with because I tend to lean on the dark side of things. When I started this I was at the peak of my depression, a condition I have been battling my entire life, hence, attempting to take this challenge is no picnic. But I was determined and the fact you are reading this post means I’d been successful.
The task didn't come without some issues. Among the challenges that I faced were...
- Boring days – Some days were so uneventful I had to make an effort to find something to be happy about.
- Sad days – This is the most difficult because dealing with depression means you are feeling miserable most of the time, so imagine trying to be happy when you’re feeling anything but.
- Bad days – You know those days when bad things pour that you get frustrated and angry, and you just want to kill some people. I had many of those.
- Forgetfulness – Sometimes I forget, in fact there is one day that I missed posting so I had to extend another day just to complete the challenge.
Those were the challenges but as you can see, I’ve managed to trump them all. Does it mean I had been happy the entire 100 days? Of course not. It only means I was able to see past the ugly things and find something pleasant even in the shittiest of days.
So what are the things that made me happy in those 100 days?
100 Happy Days List
- Olaf of Frozen
- Tea Farm with Ni and Es
- Dumaguete sylvanas
- Valentine sweets from colleagues
- Wickedmouth Unang Putok book signing
- Castle (TV series) book version
- New e-books
- Sheldon and Amy’s first kiss (The Big Bang Theory)
- New York cheesecake
- Beef wanton mami
- Finishing level 167 of Candy Crush
- Mitch Albom book signing
- Swiss chocolate cake
- Sold two of my books
- Pizza treat by Dennis
- Earning from selling books
- Coffee with Nicalyn
- Jackson and April (Grey’s Anatomy)
- Test shoot for a TV commercial
- Halabos na hipon
- 12 Years a Slave
- Watching live bands at SaGuijo
- Gino’s Brick Oven Pizza with Ni, Rhoda, and Alchris
- Blue Jasmine
- Chitchat with Patti
- Uniqlo tank tops
- Seafood marinara
- Drinking with Bembe and her friends
- Training ISO newbies
- Gino’s Oven Pizza with FTWWP
- Hanging out with Shayne in her place
- Lunch with Maggie
- Words of encouragements from friends
- Late-night meetup with Christian
- Free McMuffin from McDonalds
- Peach tart
- Puka island
- Checking out Boracay’s night scene
- Christian’s birthday party
- PHP 500 off on my room rental fee
- Visiting Shayne in her office
- Choies clothes
- Merienda with Raffy, Orlene, and Rhoda
- Pure & Best chocolate drink
- Grateful Protons Meetup
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
- Greenbelt chapel
- Customized tote bag
- Mango and banana
- Trip to Ifugao
- Amphitheater rice terraces
- Riding top load in Banaue
- Conquering Sumaguing Cave
- Free laptop use courtesy of Alchris
- Opening a BDO account
- Cloudy day
- Staycation at Best Western Oxford Suites
- Bato Springs reservation
- A glass of milk
- BDO debit card
- Afritada cooked by Shayne
- Dressed-up earphones
- Staycation at Berjaya Hotel
- Berjaya lotion
- Mangoes from Gerald
- Pizza treat by officemates
- Polished nails
- Sophie’s Mom
- Carrot raisin bread
- Loan reimbursement
- ISO team
- Aircon in the bus
- New backpack
- Sponsored staycation at Casa San Pablo
- Lake Pandin
- Listener doll
- Jollibee’s Creamy shake
- Part-time job
- Innodata summer outing at Ocean Park, Subic
- FTWWP’s summer outing at Bato Springs
- Hair treatment
- The happy pig in the Farmville app
- Work tips from Roland
- Free and convenient doctor consultation
- Hot calamansi juice
- Witches of East End
- Cold soda drink
- Pasalubong from Alchris
- Treat by Diwa, Glaiza, Zu, and Ina
- Doughnuts from Roland
- Central with friends
My 100 Happy Days journey officially ended on May 22, 2014. I can honestly say that my state of being is a lot better now than it is 100 days ago.
“Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.”
– Dalai Lama
From doing the challenge I learned that “happiness is a choice” is not just some corny cliche but a truth. In those 100 days, I was compelled to examine life in a different spectrum. It has helped me see with clarity, what used to be a blurred and inconceivable theory, that anyone, including me, who has been suffering from clinical depression for quite a long time, can actually be happy. Happiness that may not be in a grand scale and may have only come in small doses, but happiness nonetheless. I’ve been very uncomfortable, at times, frustrated because some days were just really bad I was forced to go out of my way to find something to be happy about. But this has taught me that no matter how awful a certain day may seem, there is always something good in it.
To all people who have one way or another, contributed to the success of this undertaking, thank you very much. And my lovelies, I wish you all happiness.
oh yes… happiness is a choice! congratumalations!
Well done on the challenge. Great post! That's a brilliant idea.
Congrats! Sa kin puro pagkain. hahaha! 🙂
Congrats . I wish that your happiness would go way past the 100 days . Cheers : )
Wow! Congrats!! Itry ko nga rin. 😀
Chuper mahirap nga. I've been hunting for happiness matagal na, and this challenge gave me a chance to somewhat leap a milestone. Nakakatuwa kase at least kahit maliliit na bagay eh na-aacknowledge. Congrats for accomplishing the challenge! Lalo na at may depression ka! I can totally relate. And even if your not doing this challenge anymore, I hope you still continue to find reasons to be happy.